Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Excel Academy continues to closely monitor the situation regarding the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) while working with expert partner agencies to ensure we are providing our community with accurate and timely information. This resource page includes the most recent Excel Academy-related information, links to expert health agencies, and an archive of Excel communications. Excel will continue to update our community as we have new information. Excel Academy staff checks for new COVID-19 information daily and will update this page when new and confirmed information is provided from expert agencies.
Update (March 17): We are following all recommended guidelines regarding social distancing. Virtual field trips, tutoring, and classes are continuing to be offered.
Update from Excel Academy (March 16): Excel Academy will follow the direction of these agencies and will, therefore, be instituting 100% virtual interaction for our students in all settings within our schools.
- Update from the Orange County Health Care Agency (March 15): There is now laboratory evidence of community transmission in Orange County, indicating that COVID-19 is likely spreading in the community. People aged 65 and older, and those with chronic health conditions (heart disease, diabetes, and lung disease) should stay home. All residents should practice good health hygiene which includes washing your hands, staying home if you are sick, avoiding close contact with people who are sick and covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your sleeve (not hands).
- Update from Excel Academy (March 13): Excel Academy Charter School has decided to cancel all non-required, supplemental learning experiences through April 3rd. This includes all field trips, vendor events, park days and special programs. The upcoming Science Fair on March 23rd will be cancelled. More information to follow. We will work with the vendor of canceled events to secure a refund if applicable. If a refund is received, families who used out of pocket funds will receive a refund via PayPal and the purchase order for instructional funds will be canceled. We will be able to provide more information on refunds in the coming days or case by case through April 3rd.
- There are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Excel Academy schools. The Orange County Health Care Agency only notifies a school district if there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 who is a student or staff member.
- Recently, the CDC expanded the self-quarantine guidelines by asking travelers, who have returned from a country with widespread transmission (including China, Iran, Italy, Japan and South Korea) to stay home for 14 days from the time they left the affected area. For more information, review here.
- All Excel Academy students, families, and staff should practice good health hygiene which includes washing your hands, staying home if you are sick, avoiding close contact with people who are sick and covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your sleeve (not hands).