Excel Academy will provide a rigorous curriculum for all students. Excel Academy understands that the school will have the obligation to serve students with exceptional needs and that the school, pursuant to applicable state and federal law, must ensure that all of its students have access to a free and appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment.
Excel Academy will work proactively and cooperatively with families, the teaching staff, and the District to adhere to state and federal mandates in servicing Special Education students including, but not limited to: testing; creating and updating IEPs; special services as provided by outside providers or by the District, etc. We will also ensure that:
- We employ admissions and enrollment practices that are non-discriminatory toward students with IEPs.
- Special needs students are under the guidance of and receive support from the schools Special Education Case Managers.
- Special Education Case Managers are ensuring that the staff working with students with IEPs are trained in how to fulfill the requirements of the IEPs and in how to best academically support Special Education students in their classes.
- In working with Special Education students, our school is the least restrictive environment and most appropriate placement for the student as dictated by law.
- Excel Academy requests and obtains student's cumulative files and other documents in a timely fashion.
- We review student assessment data, including but not limited to state-mandated testing, to identify students who may be falling behind expectations in their academic progress and in need of additional support or services.
Individualized Education Plans Programs
Excel Academy will plan and conduct the IEP team meetings and processes and will designate staffing and other resources needed to implement the special education and related services called for by the IEP. Student progress toward the goals specified in the IEP would be monitored regularly, and formally reviewed by the IEP team on at least an annual triennial basis. Resource specialists will help Excel Academy teachers tailor their instruction to ensure that the needs of all special education students are being met.